Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thankful!!

Besides being 191 days away from seeing my sweetheart again (praise the Lord!), today is Thanksgiving! I honestly wish it came more than once a year, because people in general forget so frequently how blessed we truly are.
In my institute class on Monday my teacher gave us a powerful statistic. If any one of the following three facts are true, you are better off than 70% of the rest of the world:
1) You have more than one pair of shoes
2) You have more than one choice of food to eat for a meal (for example you would either have rice OR beans, but not both)
3) You have more than 1 mode of transportation (meaning, a bike and a scooter).

70% of the world!!! We complain when we don't have the right brand of shoes or one of our cars has some trouble. We think nothing of having 5 different items to eat for dinner, and we certainly don't realize the blessings of living in a clean, disease-free environment. And these are just physical blessings, not even touching on the grounds of having the gospel in your life.

We have everything to be thankful for. I wish there was someway I could personally make a difference in turning the selfish, greedy attitudes of the world around into a more humble and grateful society. But alas, all you can do is be the kind of change you wish you could see in the world, however cheesy that may be. :) I am so grateful I have a best friend and a sweetheart all in the same person. Life just doesn't get sweeter than having that blessing, except making that relationship eternal. I'm so thankful for all that I have.